My Middle-Class Struggle: Juggling Act

Friday, May 20, 2011

I made some money moves today in anticipation of our big trip, which will be here very soon.  I transferred most of the money we have been saving into our checking account, so that it will be available to use for travel expenses and sight-seeing.  I also set up our bills to be paid online, out of next week’s paycheck. I had to guess at the amount and due date for a couple of the bills, because they actually have not arrived in the mail yet.  I was afraid they would be late if I waited to pay these bills after our trip, and I wanted to go ahead and subtract them from our balance, so I would know what we could budget for the trip. My middle-class struggle is turning into quite a juggling act, and this trip, although exciting,  is going to be quite a financial challenge.

I also bought half a tank of gasoline (still hoping for prices to fall!) and a supply of groceries for Struggle, Jr. and Miss Struggle2, who are not going with us, since they went to visit last year.



Here are the details:

Carryover balance:   $107.55

Deposits:                  $169.52 part-time job
                                 1500.00 transferred from savings


Expenditures:           $15.00 haircut
                                   11.08 fast food
                                 148.00 groceries and travel-sized toiletries
                                   30.01 gasoline

Pre-paid bills:           $750.86 Visa (paid off---again!)
                                     53.16 water bill
                                     69.00 home phone and internet service
                                   174.00 car payment
                                   275.00 church donation
                                     44.98 newspaper subscription (quarterly)

Current balance: $205.98

That  $205.98 balance is not much left for travel money, but payday is only five days away and the bills are covered.  Well, except for Struggle, Jr.’s  fall tuition bill, which is still unknown. Harrumph!

I think I mentioned before that we had used the Visa to pay for Mr. Struggle’s new eyeglasses.  We also charged the restaurant meal for Miss Struggle2, as well as her birthday presents and a gift for Mr. Struggle, whose birthday is next week.  We have also bought a few clothing items for our trip.  I don’t know why I didn’t just use the savings account to pay for all of this up front, except that I wanted to be able to monitor what I spent more closely.  I think I’m actually more careful with my spending when I use the charge card, because I know how hard it is to pay it off.  Notice I did send the money to pay it down to zero, so at least we aren’t paying interest.

How about you, do you spend more carefully with your charge card or more carelessly?  Or have you followed Dave Ramsey’s advice and cut up all your charge cards?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Struggle Family Members

  • Mrs. Struggle: early-50’s, mother of three, college graduate, freelancer
  • Mr. Struggle: mid-50’s, father of three, college graduate, looking for full-time work
  • Miss S1: working out-of-state and applying to more grad schools
  • Miss S2: under-employed college graduate and boomerang child
  • Struggle, Jr. : university sophomore
  • Princess Struggle: mixed-breed, middle-class mutt